[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions

Dear Paul,
I built the system that way because I had a lack of capacitors in the right
range so I had to increase the inductance.

This resulted is a long primary approximately the same wound length of the
secondary.  I noticed the secondary was not getting really hot at the base
but throughout the entire coil. I then assumed it was because the magnetic
flux was spread evenly. Hence my belief it works better.

But it could have been something else. I got 40-50cm today out of the same
system with a large topload. At 1700W using a half wave voltage doubler and
a MOT. The primary wound length is 19.5cm and 380 turns. It is an unusual
coil: http://youtu.be/kWriWcVIe1Q

I build stuff as cheap as I can so it results in different looking coils.
But the principal is the same.

This is the best coil I built so far so I tend to favour it's
characteristics.  However if I had a system that was different maybe my
thoughts would change. Not very scientific :)

As for the spot heating I did have a lot of trouble with coils getting
really hot near the primary. After using a longer primary the heat was
spread out more. I don't know if this changes the magnetic coupling. I will
have to check with JavaTC.

Thanks for explaining the 1/4 wave myth fully.

Cheers!
-Wil