[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions

Wil,

When a VTTC is tuned well (as opposed to just reasonably well
tuned), the sparks might not get much longer, but the vacuum tube will
run cooler (less plate redness).  Optimal tune is achieved when
the spark length stays long, but tube redness is at a minimum.
I use a variable HV capacitor in parallel with the tank cap to
find this best tune point which can be quite critical.  Then I
replace the variable capacitor with a fixed one of the same
value to reduce bulkiness of the system.  I use the formula:

  spark length (inches) = 0.5*sqrt input watts (wallplug)

to get an idea what spark length to expect for a given
input power.  This assumes no staccato (pulsed) operation
of course.  Staccato greatly reduces the input power while
permitting the spark length to stay the same.

Usually the primary is tuned considerably lower than the
secondary for best results.  This is done for two reasons;
to run the coil on one of the over-coupled split frequency
peaks, and to account for spark loading capacitance
as the sparks get longer.  For this reason a VTTC can
only be tuned at full power.  Tuning at full power makes
a huge difference.  If it's tuned for best spark
at lower power (using a variac), then it will not be tuned
well for high power.  The primary may need to be
tuned 20% to 30% lower than the secondary resonant
frequency in many cases.

Toroids for a VTTC do not have to be very large.  For
example a 3" x 12" secondary does well with a 1.5"
x 6" toroid.  And of course a long break out spike is
needed to avoid stressing the vacuum tube.

In some VTTC configurations the value of grid leak
resistor, and feedback coil coupling can be rather
critical.  I like the make the feedback coil position
adjustable so it can be slid higher or lower above
(or below) the primary coil.

Primary and secondary are not tuned to 1/4
wavelength.  The secondary can be made 1/4
wavelength self-resonant, but this gives no benefit
and is best ignored.  The 1/4 wavelength idea
is one of the Tesla coil myths that is still "out there".

Regards,
John