[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Phantom Streams video [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Phantom Streams video

 Hi Dave,

I'm assuming that Jeff is referring to the faint, partial, purplish discharges that seem to
"connect" to the grounded object that he brings in sufficiently close proximity to the
discharge terminal, but do not result in a complete discharge via the brighter, bluish-
white sparks that we are all familiar with when he moves the grounded object in even
closer. I have noticed a similar phenomenon with my x-ray transformers (~AC output)
with a fixed gap across the HV output when I gradually ramp up their input voltage via
a variac. First, the corona "hiss" gradually gets louder as I ramp up the voltage and
"sometimes" I will get a faint "tearing cloth" sound that stands out from the background
hiss right before the gap completely breaks down to form an arc. When viewing the gap
in a dark room, I can see partial discharges that bridge the gap with this sound. However,
there seems to be a very fine balance of voltage control vs. available ions in the air gap
to reliably replicate this effect and it probably only happens <10% of the time without just
breaking down as a full flaming arc, minus this "phantom" discharge. It is really neat to see
(and hear) when I'm lucky enough to catch it, though. :^)  Maybe a St. Elmo's fire effect?

Another David (Rieben)