[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Rotary Spark plans > 5kw Plans or wanted [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Rotary Spark plans > 5kw Plans or wanted

Hi Jim,

Good to hear you're still actively doing some man-sized coiling :-)  I was wanting to ask you about your GA pulse caps. Are they the high pps rated type (I think the 37xxx and possibly the 35xxx series as well are typically the higher pps rated ones of the GA/Maxwell product line)? I have found that the Maxwell 0.1 uFd, 75 kV rated one that is of the typical 31xxx (393?) low pps rated (1 pps) works excellently in my big coil and has never shown significant warmth above ambient temp that could be felt externally, even after extended high powered runs. And even though my cap was used when I obtained it, the sweet thing about it is that I have 3 identical spare units (ebay) :-)  Although they are rated for low pps, the 75 kV rating does offer a higher ceiling and since my transformer is 14.4 kV, I don't think I should have to worry too much about "bumping" that ceiling, since the general rule of thumb says the primary cap rating should be at least 2x (Vpk) - 16800 (assuming variac set for max 280v input to 14.4 kV piggy) x 1.41= 23,688v x 2= 47,376 volts. So, it would seem that a 50 kV rating on the primary cap should be sufficient and 75 kV would just be extra insurance. However, both Cameron Prince and I have had the same Hipotronics 0.1 uFd, 50 kV rated cap (rectangular oil-filled metal can with a single standoff bushing terminal) to fail in our large SG driven coils, and the failure was obviously over volt related, as in both cases the cap had not shown signs of excessive external warmth before the failure occurred. Also, an autopsy of my particular cap showed no signicant burning of the dielectric inside, just a single "burn through". No spectacular case rupture when it failed either, just the coil's output suddenly dying and the cap's terminals showing a dead short. Also, even if a cap is rated for just 1 pps at its rated voltage, keeping the operating voltage at less than say 50% of the nameplate rated voltage is supposed to increase the cap's shot  life expectancy exponencially. Not sure what the deal was with the Hipotronics caps, though, as I had obtained both of the caps in question "unused" from Jeff Parisse of KVA Effects. He had mentioned that he was looking to "upgrade" his caps, though. From mine and Cameron's personal experience with these units (maybe 2 hours of run time before failure?), I'm thinking Jeff's "upgrade" may have been for a good reason.

Has anyone else had any experience with these Hipotronics capacitor units? Sorry, I can't recall any part number and I'm not sure that they even had a part number on the label and were probably custom built units.

David Rieben