[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] New post to the 3P DC construction blog. The HV is center tapped! [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] New post to the 3P DC construction blog. The HV is center tapped!

Hello list,

I sat awhile today staring at the transformer in creative thought. My
challenge is the present configuration is 50:1 or a little over 10KV line to
line (3 phase). This is twice too high for resonant DC charging. It turns
out there are 2 primaries per leg and a Center tapped HV point. This is
perfect for parallel Wye configuration which nearly halves the voltage and
nearly doubles the current (SQR3) factoring I believe. Now I'm in the Ball
Park!

The challenge I have is creating good enough insulation at the split tie
point for paralleling. The top lead goes to the lower wye tie point and the
lower lead joins the HV leg; so there is a little over 5KV at this junction
point configured this way.

*** I am asking for some practical brain storming on this issue.

One thought I have is to grease a very thin tapper wood sill shim and try to
separate the coil packs. I would brace the bottom coil and there is a .25"
clearance at the top where the coils have sagged down from shipping or just
gravity in a slick environment over years.

It is clear I could easily destroy the transformer this way if it does not
budge easily. Perhaps hanging it upside down??? Some form of insulation
plates???

Any ideas would be welcome. I will not rush into action on this endeavor!!!

Check the Blog for pictures of this. http://www.teslawavetuner.blogspot.com/

Thanks all and happy coiling,

Jim Mora

BTW there are pictures of Parallel Wye all over the net if you want to see
one, often on 12 wire 3 phase Gensets.