[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid

Hi Noah?

Although there are some complex formulas for determining the approximate capacitance for given sized toroids, I think as far as what's the "right size", it is more of an imperical thing to determine what is the optimal torid size for a given coil. A good rule of thumb that seems to work out pretty well for most medium or large sized coil systems is to size your toroid to about the same dimensions as your secondary coil form. Example: if your secondary coil is 6" diameter and 30" tall, then you would size your toroid to just about those same numbers - 6" minor diameter and about 30" in major diameter. For smaller coils, you may tend to run the numbers for your toroid a bit smaller than the dimensions of your secondary coil mainly due to the smaller power supply being unable to fully charge a larger surface area to the point of spark breakout, unless you add a breakout point.

Hope this helps,
David