[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Topload imperfections [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Topload imperfections

On 7/10/14, 9:30 AM, Peter Terren wrote:
Funny this topic should come up because I was planning a humorous top
load once I get the required materials. That may demonstrate some of
these points.
I personally think toroids are largely a historical/cosmetic expectation
and far cheaper methods can be used IF you are using a breakout point.

What, other than a toroid (or skeleton approximation thereof) has the nice properties of being wide (so the field along the secondary is moderately uniform), having sufficient radius of curvature to not breakout too early (say 300-400kv =>ROC of 10-15 cm, 4-6") and is not too big vertically (a 1 meter sphere is a pretty big thing to accommodate under the ceiling, for storage, if nothing else)

It has to have enough surface area/shape to have sufficient C to store enough energy for good spark development too.

Rounded corner rectangles/parallelopipeds would work, I suppose...