From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Derek, Extreme Electronics
Sent: 09 July 2014 23:31
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Topload imperfections

All,
     Top loads will tend to break out at a voltage related to their
minor diameter.

     Adding a breakout point will lower this breakout voltage, but I'm
sure we have all tried a breakout that was too small, the reduction in
breakout voltage can be aparently very small indeed.

     We all try to make our toroids as smooth as possible and yet good
results can be had from finite element toroids.

     To me, the above points to the field surrounding the torrioid
smoothing out the "lumps", be it a small breakout, a screw head on the
torroid or the coils of a finite element toroid.

     So ignoring the directional aspect of having a breakout point, How
smooth to top load need to be and is there a formulae that states that a
sphere of diameter x on top of a sphere of diameter y as a combination,
will break out at a particular voltage?

Am I right that the field smooths out imperfections?

Many years ago there were a number of programs that would graphically
(but only in 2D IIRC) show the field around an object. Are there any
that are still (cheaply) downloadable?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but they are all related (sort of)

     Thanks

     Derek

--
Web:www.extremeelectronics.co.uk <http://www.extremeelectronics.co.uk>