[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] IGBT Selection [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] IGBT Selection

Hey Jeremy,

Yes that looks like a great part and I can see how having the entire bridge
integrated would be great. That said, it is more expensive than two CM300
half bridge modules on ebay. For the same voltage-rated IGBTs, you
basically get twice the voltage across the primary with a full bridge vs
the half bridge, and with half the parts cost and half the drive power
required. So I like to use half bridges in my small coils. I would say you
can begin with this bridge at set your current limiter to a conservative
rating of say 300A and go up from there. If you're building a regular
DRSSTC driver, I'd keep the frequencies as low as possible, definitely sub
100khz. But as you use more advanced drive circuits for zero current
switching, you'll be able to push the currents up. I usually try to drive
my transistors no more than their peak current rating. Definitely does well
for reliability if you keep within the limits. :) IGBTs definitely explode
easily if you exceed their ratings AND switch at the wrong timing. That
said, I think Steve has pushed CM300s to 5000A before they exploded
(despite their 300A rating and 600A pulse rating). :-)

Guangyan