[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Building a tesla coil. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Building a tesla coil.

Hi Matthew,

I put up a page on my Tesla coil web site outlining the major components of
a home made Tesla coil and the sequence of steps one must take in selecting
components - http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/howtodesign.htm

The page begins:

I am often asked - "Please tell me how I can build a Tesla coil".  Many
would-be coilers would like to be handed a cookbook recipe and shopping
list.  If money were no object, that could be done, but that's rarely the
case.  A Tesla coil built from factory-new components would be expensive,
but most coils are built with the parts that happened to be cheap and
available, so no two coils are ever identical.

Tesla coils make nice projects in that component selection is extremely
flexible, and most parts can be found cheaply, used, or on the surplus
market.  But if one substitutes one component, it's likely that other
components must be altered to compensate.  And a certain degree of
technical know-how is necessary in order to understand what may be altered
and what else must be altered to compensate.  Readers are free to copy the
designs of the coils I have built and described elsewhere on this site
verbatim, but more likely your parts will differ from mine, so I won't
present any cookbook recipes.

What follows is a basic outline of the sequence and steps involved in
building a coil.

I think I put up that page before JavaTC was widely used, and some of the
hotstreamer links are now non-functional.  But what I would stress is to
just read a lot of web sites and ask _specific_ questions on this forum.

Hope that helps, Gary