[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Winder [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Winder

On 1/28/14 1:59 AM, krux@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Check out my latest project.  A tesla coil secondary winder.

https://krux.org/article/Tesla_Coil_Winder

In the quest to create a Tesla coil, one of the tasks that must be completed
is winding your secondary coil. This is a tedious process of wrapping magnet
wire many hundreds of times around your secondary coil form. Trying of course
to make sure the winding is straight, free of gaps, and overlaps. It's a job
that didn't sound very fun, which is why I decided that when it came time to
wind the secondary coil for Project Icarus, I would build a machine to do it
for me.

Very slick.

Are you going to publish some of the technical details? How big are the motors (I think they're steppers, from the look)? Did you calibrate the lead screw, or is it consistent enough that the turns lay down nicely? Do you have some thing to put drag on the supply spool?

What happens if the supply spool snags: sometimes, you get a turn that wedges down between the flange and the next layer on the spool? Does it just stop (or you hit the stop button quickly), and then you figure out what to do to fix it?

Do you lay a piece of double stick tape on the form before winding so that if you get a break or a tension drop, the turns don't "sproing" loose?

What's the underlying processor? Arduino? something else?

Very interesting base panel. It looks like an optical bench, but I assume it's wood and drilled on some sort of NC drill? Is that an off the shelf thing for breadboards? Where do you get them?