[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] DRSSTC, driving system, and a strange problem. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] DRSSTC, driving system, and a strange problem.

Hi all:

I have built a low-medium power DRSSTC for some studies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg9BGXlYXnE
It was designed with my theory at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/drsstc.html
I started with a secondary coil that I already had (28.2 mH), an adjustable top load that resonates with it at ~300 kHz (10.4 pF), and a 22 nF MMC primary capacitor made with 9 22 nF 1600 V capacitors and 10 Mohm bleeding resistors. With mode 37:39:41 this results in primary inductance of 13.5 uH and coupling coefficient k = 0.102. With excitation at 294 kHz using a half-bridge powered by +/- 180 V, the expected maximum output voltage is of 205 kV, and the maximum input current of 90.5 A. I made the bridge using two IRFP460 mosfets, assuming that they can handle this current for brief periods (they can), and other parts taken from PC power supplies, including the case, blower, bus capacitors, and a switching power supply for the blower and other uses. The timing control is a quite overcomplicated circuit made by my students, that gives a specified number of cycles at specified periods. There is no feedback, but just a button to adjust the driver frequency manually. The designed operation required 10-cycles bursts. It worked well in this setting, producing the expected waveforms, but unimpressive sparks and streamers. I tried then to increase the burst length, without changing anything else. The operation is then not so efficient, but the driver was supporting the increased power. With 20-cycles bursts I obtained this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg9BGXlYXnE
The input current didn't increase excessively, starting as in the 10-cycles case, but reaching 170 A in something as a second beat. The streamer loading turns difficult to calculate if this is the expected. The driver becomes just noticeably warm. When I tried to see the driver output voltage with an oscilloscope, something strange happened. I see the expected bursts, but also a continuous 1 MHZ oscillation appears. The problem appears to be local to the driver, and the coil operates normally, as the high-frequency doesn't transfer energy to it. Some parasitic coupling turning the driver into an oscillator, but just when I connect the scope (?). Has someone observed something similar? I have another primary circuit, with higher impedance, that does not cause this.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz