[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Patron Saint of Electricians Ball Lightning [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Patron Saint of Electricians Ball Lightning

and pyrotechnicians: St Barbara, in some lists:
 those at risk of sudden death

[This gets a bit away from coiling, so at Mods
discretion...

And i suggest ending it here.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_of_Formia

> from which I took this--

>> He "may have become the patron of sailors
>> because he is said to have continued preaching
>> even after a thunderbolt struck the ground
>> beside him.

>> This prompted sailors, who were in danger
>> from sudden storms and lightning, to claim
>> his prayers. The electrical discharges
>> at the mastheads of ships were read as a sign
>> of his protection and came to be called
>> "Saint Elmo's Fire".[5][6]"

> Quite a guy. Worthy of the veneration of TCers,
> or at least we may quaff a flagon in his name
> from time to time.

   St Barbara is patron of ...those occupations
   in danger of sudden death...

>Barbara - architects, builders and miners, artillerymen,
> foundry workers, firework makers, Mathematicians,
> geoscientist, stonemasons,
> servicemen of the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patron_saints_of_occupations_and_activities

  Which omits electricians..., with EEs associated,
  as noted with St Elmo.

  Another list has St Lucy for the Electricians...

  best
   dwp