From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Paul Grippa
Sent: 18 December 2014 17:30
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Ribbon Primary - What size?

Hello All,
It has been a while since I have posted, but do read all of the emails on a
regular basis.  I am in the process of source materials for my first BIG
Coil and plan on using a ribbon primary.  Does anyone know how to calculate
what thickness and height the copper stip would need to be when building a
primary of this type? As you know, the price of copper stip goes up
drastically when you move from say 10 mil to 20 mil or from 1" to 2'' in
height.  I was hoping to use the cheapest 100' stip that would sustain the
current.  I have seen many setups that were using stips of 2" or 3" in
height and 30 mil thickness.  Is this really necessary?  Currently, I have a
10 kVA piggie (courtesy of the amazing John Freau) just waiting to be put
into action.  I am not sure if I will be using all 10 kVA, but would rather
build a primary that can sustain the power I have available in case I decide
to do so.  Thanks for all of your help!
Best Regards,JP