Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:58 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Ribbon Primary - What size?

Hi John,

Well, let's see. A 10 mil thick copper strip that is 1" wide would have an effective 0.01" square cross section and on the other end of that spectrum, a 3" wide, 30 mil thick strip would have a 0.09" square cross section. I've personally always used copper tubing for my primaries and I'm not sure how to determine the exact cross section of tubing in a given ID or OD measurement of copper tubing aside from cutting a short sample of the tubing wall length-wise and micrometer measuring the thickness of the wall. Let's assume that 1/2" ID copper tubing has 1/16" thick walls. That would work out to an average diameter of 17/32" or 0.53125"(pi) x 0.0625" = ~0.1" square cross section area, if my math is correct. So, that's still a bit more cross section of conductor than the 3" wide 30 mil strip! Some would say that 1/2" ID copper tubing is a bit overkill, even for a 10 kVA piggy driven system, but I have noticed a bit of warming with my 1/2" ID tubing, at least on the innermost primary turn or so with my Green Monster coil after a longer run. Of course the majority of the resonant frequency currents do flow very near the surface of (a good) conductor. My coil is driven with a 10 kVA, 14.4 kV pig and a 0.1 uFd primary cap across an ARSG, at about 350 BPS. Maybe the 1/2" copper tubing would be the more economical route for you, although you can make a strip primary considerably narrower than an equivalent tubing primary for a given L, which should help to reduce the topload to primary strikes. It seems to me that you would be walking a fairly tight line between sufficiently spacing the turns to prevent turn/turn flashover while not over spacing them, which would reduce e-field shielding and possibly allow for possible corona forming on the thin edges and causing flashovers to or racing sparks on the secondary. I'll let others who have built copper strip primaries comment further on this.

David Rieben