[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Submerged diode strings hold off distance (transfomer oil) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Submerged diode strings hold off distance (transfomer oil)

I bought four diode strings off eBay for really cheap. If I recall, they're rated at around 115 kV, 1 amp. They were immersed in oil for 115 kV, but I ran them at 15 kV as a full-wave bridge rectifier in air with no problem, after blowing up my first 34 kV DC PSU.

________________________________
 From: Teslalabor <teslalabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Submerged diode strings hold off distance (transfomer	oil)

Hi Jim,

I don't think it's a good idea to mount the rectifiers inside the tank. It's
definetly not necessary to imerse them in oil neither for insulation nor
cooling purposes.
Another reason is: Maybe you will kill some rectifiers probably during some
initial tests so do you really want to pull out the transformer everytime
just for replacing dead diodes?

Regards,
Stefan