From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Bart B. Anderson
Sent: 24 April 2014 01:27
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] srsg to vari speed rsg

Well, many moons ago I used a VFD for the gap. No it was not synchronous
but could hold a frequency relatively well. The VFD never experienced
any issues from the sparks, but the issues I did run into was turning
the 3ph 2HP motor under such minimal load as a spark gap. It's very easy
to go over with such a light load and cause the VFD to fault (adding
ramp up and down time solved that issue). When a VFD fault occurs, you
can usually set a VFD to coast at fault or to brake at fault. I  chose
to let it coast (for obvious reasons). I also used a fault output from
the VFD into a PLC to control the contactor and remove power when a VFD
fault occured.

I mainly ran it to vary brake rates via a potentiometer at the control
panel (I'm was not a fan of synchronous gaps). I did note my coil gap
speed and spark output was best at about 360 bps, however it was more
fun to just throttle back and forth the gap. You do need to set the
phase adjustment as with any gap either mechanically or electrically. In
my case, I used a super low rpm gear motor to vary the gap angle on
movable arms.

It worked reasonably well. If I were to do another RSG coil (I won't,
I'm way too lazy), I would again go the VFD route. I just had a lot of
fun with that.

Take care,
Bart