[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] srsg with a vfd [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] srsg with a vfd

On 4/22/14, 10:51 AM, David Boyle wrote:
I have a chance to get a motor and vfd drive for a nice price for my
srsg. My only concern is would a 3 phase synchronous motor powered by a
variable frequency drive running at 1800rpm be in sync with the line
voltage?

There's a couple issues here (and I'm sure you'll get other responses with other issues)

1) For a VFD driving an induction motor (the most common type), the speed of the motor will NOT be the speed corresponding to the line frequency being fed to it. There's always some "slip" between the motor speed and the synchronous speed with the amount of slip depending on the mechanical load on the motor. More load, more slip. Some clever drives sense the phase of the current and can automatically adjust the voltage and frequency to hold a (reasonably) constant shaft speed under slowly varying load.

A VFD driving a synchronous motor, on the other hand, will work as you expect. There's been plenty of material on this list about how to go about modifying an induction motor to make a synchronous motor (at substantially reduced torque output), and that would work with a VFD.

2) The bigger challenge is that most VFDs don't have a fixed relationship between the line phase and the output phase (how could it, if the frequency is "variable"...)

That said, if you had a way to measure the phasing of the spark gap rotor and you have one of the VFDs with analog speed control input, you could set up some sort of phase locked loop to set the phase whereever you want. I would think that a rotary gap would actually be fairly easy to stabilize the loop, since the mechanical load is pretty constant.

3) You could conceivably drive your HV transformer from the VFD as well as driving the rotary gap motor. IN that case, the HV would be properly phased relative to the rotor in a reasonably consistent way (depending on motor design, etc.)