[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] car distributor as rotary gap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] car distributor as rotary gap

The distributor cap is way too slow for a spark gap. Engine cylinders fire
in sequence and the gap break is routed through a different circuit each
time it fires. The purpose of the high voltage circuit is to provide
spark-based ignition and not electromagnetic resonance in a secondary coil.

As Jim said, the gap cannot be opened and closed efficiently enough to
break HV and provide the 1% to 5% duty cycle needed to set the resonance in
motion.

In a distributor, you have one gap and multiple circuits. In a rotary spark
gap, you have multiple spark gaps and a single circuit. You are reducing
your number of quenched spark gaps by an order of ten or so by going to a
distributor. If you increased the rotation rate of the distributor then you
are increasing the mechanical stresses you need to engineer to overcome. It
is very inefficient.

Dave Thomson