[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap

 This may seem a bit off the wall, and I don't have any pictures of it
(perhaps Bert does) but at a Teslathon hosted by Bert Pool about 5 to 10
years ago I remember we took a standard two tungsten electrode spark gap
mounted on a porcelain base out of a welder, put it in about 1 inch thick
Styrofoam ice cooler and then poured about a gallon of liquid nitrogen on
it. This made for a super fast quench and at -346 F it was self cooling.

 If memory serves, the secondary was about 4 foot and we got 6 foot arks
from it. Another interesting affect was because of the UV output of the
gap, when the coil was shut off the liquid nitrogen & cooler fluoresced for
a significant period of time.

Hitby13kw