[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap

David

I'm not aware of anyone building a fluid dielectric RSG.  There are several
points
(JMHO) that may cause issues with this idea.

1.  Contamination - Oil or any dielectric fluid will be carbonized by
intense arcing,
     This will lead to breakdown degradation and eventual performance
compromise.
2.  Hydrostatic shock - Shock wave lithotripsy uses a SG in a oval shaped
pool
     at one focal point and patent is placed at other focal point to crush,
break up
     typically kidney stones.  Well if the hydrostatic shock can break
kidney stones,
     what will a RSG with high rep rate hydrostatic pulses impact be on
enclosure?
       -- Leaks
       -- Enclosure compromise?
3.  Sealing and leaks -- A rotary shaft and HV power connection
penetrations may
     be a leak waiting to happen.  Add hydrostatic shock and it may be
untenable.

A vertical shaft SG with HV and mechanical penetrations at the top of the
enclosure
may preclude above possible pitfalls, but hydrostatic shock, and dielectric
contamination
will be an issue.  External fluid piping (pumps, filtering, etc.) could be
used but as you
can see the RSG is becoming 2-3X more complex, without an equivalent
performance
gain.

JMHO, wish you luck with it.

--