Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 8:14 PM
Subject: [TCML] Repair/restore of an old induction coil

I just acquired a rather large Ruhmkorff type induction coil, circa 1920 or so. After cleaning the contacts I get a modest spark but such a large coil ought to be good for more. There are three ancient condensers, and I suspect at least one is bad. Each is rated at .45 MFD and 400 volts. They are linked in parallel and are easily accessible. If I replace the condensers, should I cleave exactly to the original setup, or could I use other configurations to achieve the same capacitance, etc?

The coil was made by the Pontiac Coil Company, and it's about 14 inches long by 7 wide.

Paul Thompson