Re: [TCML] Re: Coil Died

On 10/20/13 12:02 PM, David Rieben wrote:
Huh? Readily available? Although I may have personally found pole pigs a little
out of reach back in the 80's and 90's, they certainly were just as accessible back
then as now, if not more so.

What's changed is the internet, and lists like this one, so you can *find* places like T&R. Back in the 80s, you had to know someone who knew how to get them. I knew someone at my work who was willing to go out and saw down poles with transformers on them (likely killing himself in the process, or starting a brush fire, or worse).

T&R Electric was still readily selling their transformers
to the general coiling community, now they won't.

And that's sort of a bad aspect to internets..

 And all of the MOTs that were
gutted from microwave ovens were still "real transformer" iron core units, as op-
posed to the SS inverters in newer model microwaves. BTW, iron cored NSTs
are becoming increasingly scarce, due to the influx os SS drivers in the newer units.

And that will drive us TCers..