Re: [TCML] Coil Died

Tim,

I've come into this conversation a little late and have not read each and every post as I deleted them without thinking. So apologies if this has already been said.

Firstly, check for hot turns on the secondary or blistering of the varnish, indication of a short between two adjacent turns which may be hard to see during operation due to a lack of a large spark.

Now, assuming that your secondary, primary, capacitor and transformer are all functioning correctly (did you check the xformer), you have to go back to first principles.

The bottom line is that you have changed your system and you can't change one thing without having to properly retune and possibly alter the coupling. If you are running a bigger cap your bang size is larger and you may be over driving the secondary (and hence the racing arcs). Even if you changed your ceramic caps for an mmc of equal capacitance, it is likely that your primary inductance is also altered due to the reconfiguration. A retune is necessary.

The side effect of retuning is that it also slightly alters your coupling. So it is possible that the altered tuning required by your modifications is pushing your coil into over coupling (and hence the racing arcs).

I would try starting from scratch. Lift your secondary up a good few inches from the primary by placing it on some kind of insulating spacer. This will let you set the tuning without fear of over coupling. Once the tune is set, move the secondary down bit by bit, each time moving the tap 1/4 - 1/2 turn either way to confirm the best tune for that setting. Work your way down, each time making sure your tune is optimal to within 1/3 turn.  Eventually you will either bottom out your secondary (first turn of secondary in line with primary), or racing arcs (over coupling) will appear. In this case it's time to lift the secondary back up a bit to the last point. Then you're set. Let us know if this works and good luck!

Greg.

Sent from my phone