Re: [TCML] Coil Died

The moment your primary broke, the transformer received a high current
spike from the suddenly changed secondary to primary step down ratio.  The
energy that one cycle of the spark gap placed into the secondary was
significantly increased on the return stroke.  The problem could be in the
transformer.

Oddly enough, I have had this happen in the past, and when I let the
transformer set on a shelf for a few years, it would perform like new when
placed back into service.  It is as though it self-healed over time.  This
makes me think the high current on the back stroke may have magnetized the
core in such a way as to prevent the transformer from working properly.

Do you have a compass or some other way to check for permanent magnetism in
the core?  I'm not even sure that would work since the magnetic loop would
be closed.

I'll have to look for the info, but someone patented a process for
increasing the amount of power in a motor by a factor of four without
increasing the input energy.  This is done by creating a magnetic switch in
the transformer core that redirects the magnetism in such a way as to
require one fourth of the power.  (All the new power drills use this
technology.)  This process may inadvertently occur in regular transformers
when used with high voltage applications.  This is just one of my wacky
ideas, but if it is a magnetism problem, perhaps the application of strong
neodymium magnets temporarily applied (with the circuit off) in just the
right way could reset the magnetism in the core?

I have not immediately recovered from this situation in the past without
starting a new coil from scratch.  If you have to, just put the whole
project on the shelf for an extended period of time and see if it heals
over time.

Also, double check your secondary with a magnifying glass.  Not all
secondary failures are obvious.  The fact that your doorknobs give you a
little bit better service just may be in the capacitance value and a
slightly more favorable reactance.  The main problem is either in the
transformer or the secondary.  And one more thing, the 3/4" PVC core may be
acting as an electrophorus.  If a permanent E field has built up in the
secondary core it will increase the reactance considerably.  Time will
eventually reset the electrophorus, too.

Dave