Re: [TCML] Brass Strip

Hi Tim,

You may want to consider switching to 20 - 24 gauge electrolytic copper or aluminum strip instead to reduce primary ohmic losses. Brass alloys have much higher electrical resistivity than either copper or aluminum. Brass has about four times greater electrical resistivity than copper, so your primary losses will be at least four times greater.

Copper strip is often used for lightning protection systems to reduce ground conductor resistance and inductance, and for a variety of crafts. For example:
http://www.tlpinc.com/products/conductors/copper-conductors/secondary-specialty-copper.html
http://www.tlpinc.com/products/conductors/aluminum-conductors/secondary-specialty-aluminum.html
http://basiccopper.com/costformo.html

Bert

Tim Flood wrote:
Does anyone have a source for brass 1/2" wide by .020 to .030" thick by 20'
long? Yes, I am checking on line.

The performance of my small TC has dropped off so I was doing some
upgrading last night. I found that brass ribbon primary had cracked in half
about two turns out from the secondary.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim Flood