[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Car tire toroid? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Car tire toroid?

I have used a double truck inner tube in two ways. Neither worked well in
practice.

The first was covered in chicken wire. Ozone rapidly ate through the rubber.
At least, I thought it was ozone, to which rubber is very sensitive. Sparks
should not go inward from the mesh as it is a Faraday cage. It could still
be sparks equalising the flat area between the chicken wire perforations.
As a lower toroid, with very little in the way of sparks off it, it works
much better.
http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla_coil_18inch.htm#Toroid

The second was covered with aluminium covered tape. Lasted longer but all (?
3) versions eventually leaked with a shortish lifespan ? year or two. As
long as you apply minimal tension, they should not come out lopsided. I
don't know why they didn't last as long as suspected. They should really
have worked.
Otherwise they were great. Light, dent proof and smooth.
http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla18Dalek10003Ft.jpg

I have a tractor tube to try sometime. Much bigger.

Your mileage may vary.

Peter Terren