[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Unusual dielectric media [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Unusual dielectric media

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Unusual dielectric media

> Why are looking for high dielectric constant liquids to immerse capacitors
> in.  Aren't you using it in this case as just an insulator. That is,
> you're not using it as the "inside" of the capacitor dielectric.
>
> Typically, for an insulator, what you look for is robustness (breakdown
> voltage doesn't change with small amounts of contaminants), lack of
> spoilage, etc. (most liquids have very similar breakdown voltages)

Yes, I am immersing ready-made capacitors (in this case, usually high
voltage ceramic "doorknob" caps) in high K media to suppress corona,
arc-over, etc. I have in the past potted Cockroft Walton multipliers and cap
arrays in paraffin wax, but I was curious to try some liquids with high K
values. I know many coilers use transformer oil or even motor oil to
insulate components, but glycerin and syrup have very high K values. So far,
glycerin has work very well.

PBT