[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress.

________________________________
 From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress.

      About 35 years ago I was on a job welding galvanized steel on construction job.  The contractor furnished 2 pint milk cartons for everybody. We had to drink a pint at 10am coffee break and 12noon or later in shift.  No drink milk-no work.  We were welding outside with a breeze. At the time this was to keep us safe , as we were told the milk absorbed or neutralized the damage fumes would cause.
 No one had any affects , then.   After years of welding and being around smelting operations , was always warned that the brass and copper smelters to be most dangerous fumes.  The ozone from my coil is dangerous in high concentrations and have always been told if you can smell it you need more ventilation.  Read the warning on a box of welding rods and you won't ever run a coil indoors.
    Have to get back to soldering more strings of CD942's !
                                                                                              Good day, Bob
          PS- Wonder why they didn't just weld them up and leave the galvinizing on, it's acceptable practic

On 11/22/13 12:30 PM, Dave Halliday wrote:
> Here is the story of someone who died from Zinc Flu
>
> http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=safety3/demo
>
> He was a blacksmith and was burning the galvanizing off a few lengths of
> pipe.

That's a pretty extreme case:
"However this was not a small amount of zinc smoke. It was thick enough in his well ventilated shop that Jim wisely sent his helpers outside. Why he stayed we will never know."
There was so much zinc that it reacted with the refractory lining causing the ITC-100 coating to flake off. Around the door gasket area there were 1/16" thick deposits of zinc oxide. There is no question that Jim was exposed to significant amounts of zinc oxide smoke as he removed the flaming parts from the forge and quenched them.

Two weeks later when the forge was fired up it was still generating zinc smoke and fumes.

"Prior to this Paw-Paw had problems with emphysema and this is a factor in his case. "

OK.. so I'm going to speculate that the guy
a) had a severe pre-existing condition
b) way overdid it on the zinc oxide exposure

It's not quite like saying drowning deaths are from the toxicity of water, but it's pretty close.