[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress.

On 11/22/13 12:30 PM, Dave Halliday wrote:
> Here is the story of someone who died from Zinc Flu
>
> http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=safety3/demo
>
> He was a blacksmith and was burning the galvanizing off a few lengths of
> pipe.

That's a pretty extreme case:
"However this was not a small amount of zinc smoke. It was thick enough
in his well ventilated shop that Jim wisely sent his helpers outside.
Why he stayed we will never know."
There was so much zinc that it reacted with the refractory lining
causing the ITC-100 coating to flake off. Around the door gasket area
there were 1/16" thick deposits of zinc oxide. There is no question that
Jim was exposed to significant amounts of zinc oxide smoke as he removed
the flaming parts from the forge and quenched them.

Two weeks later when the forge was fired up it was still generating zinc
smoke and fumes.

"Prior to this Paw-Paw had problems with emphysema and this is a factor
in his case. "

OK.. so I'm going to speculate that the guy
a) had a severe pre-existing condition
b) way overdid it on the zinc oxide exposure

It's not quite like saying drowning deaths are from the toxicity of
water, but it's pretty close.