[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress.

Hi Greg, Steve, et al.

Metal fume fever and the resulting risk of chemical pneumonia or pulmonary
oedema can result from inhaling almost any metal vapours.  Nickel and
chromium in stainless steel carry the additional risk of toxicity and
carcinogenicity.

Also, I do assume when you say tungsten, you mean pure tungsten.  I notice a
lot of people, including myself at one time or another, have done or do use
3% thoriated tungsten, being such a commonly available material for TIG
welding.  Inhaling alpha radiation from vaporised thorium or ablated oxide
is probably the worst of the lot.

I guess my point is we should be careful of ventilation and of chronic
exposure to any ablated, vaporised, or indeed radiated materials from our
spark gaps.  As already mentioned, it really is the O3 and NOx gases, and
I'll add, also the high energy photons that are the main concerns because of
the quantities produced.  No one wants nitric acid produced in their lungs,
or for O3 to oxidise their lung cells prematurely.  The photons produced are
very strong in the hard UV range and also not completely negligible in the
X-ray range either.