From: Greg Peters <greg.j.peters@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Nov 21, 2013 11:55 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress.

Thanks everyone for their interest in this project. I will post more
pics of the various components and transformers over the weekend.

I have some 10mm galvanised steel rod on hand so I will substitute
that until I can find some brass. Hopefully it will perform OK. Sounds
like it will be OK given what Dave said in his post, though I wouldn't
have though the thermal conductivity would be any better than
stainless.

Ted, thanks for the info. That 6 mot coil of yours must be a real
beast. I've been wanting to build a 3-phase coil since I was a
teenager! I'm hoping to not have to use any filter cap at all given
that I will only be drawing 5-6kW from a supply that could easily do
10. It will be nice to not have to pull 40A from one phase and dim the
neighnours lights! I'm still working the choke thing out. I was
contemplating having a go at winding one myself. Or the series gapped
mots could work too. Still trying to decide which way to go with it.

Greg, that's a great paper and coil there and I appreciate having some
real DC coil specs on hand. I like your "medium" designation for a
50kW coil!

I'm happy to try any power supply configuration if you're willing to
advise a suitable topology. I find the one I posted easy to understand
but would need help setting up a delta version. I need a topology that
extracts the full phase to phase voltage, or at least close to it,
given that my transformers are only 2400v.

I was planning to use 6 MOTs, they have 240v primaries and 2400v
secondaries. We run 240v here in Oz, so I have 415v between phases. I
was going to run two mots per phase with the primaries in parallel and
the secondaries in series. The primaries were going to be run between
active and neutral in a star configuration, as per the image on my
site. This gives 24kV or so in the tank circuit after the choke.
Naturally there is the potential to run the primaries in series
between phases in a delta configuration. Are you able to offer some
advice on how such a configuration should be set up?

Anyway, I hope all that makes sense. Thanks again everyone for your
advice and interest.