Re: [TCML] DRSSTC ring-up

Herwig,

As Antonio said, there is nothing "wrong" with your setup.

What most coilers do is tune the primary lower than the secondary frequency
such that the primary is in tune with the secondary once it has a big
streamer on top of it.  If you try to tune the primary too low
(anticipating a gigantic streamer) you will find that the driver just
cannot put out the current required to ring up to such a high voltage, and
either the IGBTs fail or your circuit is smart enough to limit the current.
 Or its possible your circuit is so lossy that it cannot develop a high
enough voltage to impress you.

It turns out another efficient tuning is to leave the coils more or less
"in tune" with eachother, but have a driver thats smart enough to drive it
at the upper pole frequency (which might be significantly higher).  This
can excite just the one resonance (upper one) after enough cycles, and i
find in my latest experiments that driving at the upper pole while
"detuned" for streamer loading is much more efficient than driving at the
lower pole with streamer detuning.  The only reason people havent done this
more is because most people use a simple self oscillating controller which
will happily excite whatever frequencies naturally come about when starting
up the TC.

Steve