Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 3:08 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re: Grounding NSTs (Special Case?)

On 5/1/13 12:41 PM, Brandon Hendershot wrote:
Something else I should mention, since I have no way of installing a real
ground rod, I use a counterpoise as the RF ground in my system.
Everything else in the coil is finished and ready to run, as soon as we
resolve where to ground the NST's (if anywhere (I read that leaving the
NSTs ungrounded causes permanent damage)) I can fire it up for the first
time. Hope you guys can come to the rescue again ;)

Cases of NST to electrical safety ground (aka green wire ground) in the
power cord.

Bottom of secondary to counterpoise
Counterpoise to greenwire ground.

The idea here is that if you have a spark(s) that touches the primary
(at 15kV) AND the counterpoise (or NST case) at the same time, you don't
want anything you touch to be at 15kV.  Think of a spark as a temporary
low resistance connection.  So imagine what currents would flow or
voltages would be reached it you took a long cliplead and hooked it from
anything to anything. In particular, you want anything that *might* wind
up connected to the primary (several kV with a fair amount of current)
to be bonded to a good safety ground.

Two reasons to ground the cases..
1) If the case shorts to the power line, you want the case at a safe
voltage to touch.
2) The insulation on a NST is on the HV windings. A spark that bridges
HV to case (e.g. spark to primary and case at same time) will put 15 kV
on the case, and the insulation to the powerline might break down. If
you get a spark going between power line and case, that might be *very
exciting* (for a while)

Reason to ground the RF counterpoise

1) You might touch it.  If a spark touches counterpoise and primary at
the same time, and the counterpoise isn't connected to safety ground,
then the counterpoise is at several kV relative to you.

You could, if you like, ground the RF counterpoise to the green-wire
ground using a big RF choke to block the RF, but to let line frequency
power work pass.

Thanks,
Brandon H.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Brandon Hendershot <