Re: [TCML] Titanium for Electrodes?

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 03:52:28 PM Brandon Hendershot wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My chemistry isn't as great as it should be, so I thought I'd ask here:
> would Titanium be better/worse (or even suitable) for a propeller type
> rotary spark gap as opposed to the universally accepted tungsten? Reason I
> ask is, I could have a good length of medical grade titanium rod coming my
> way free of charge. If it 'will' work and I can save some bucks on
> tungsten, then I'm all for it.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon H.

Several years ago a list member got hold of some titanium "studs" or rivets.
He sent some samples free to those willing to test. I was one of the recipients.
I never did a proper test in a TC spark gap, but I did "light one up" with an
arc. It did as expected, burned with an intense heat. Fortunately it was very
small, so no damage was done, but that is what put me off of doing a proper test.
I do not recall having read anything about any one else doing a proper test
either, if they did it should have been reported and would be in the archives.

That being said, in theory the electrodes should not get hot enough to ignite in
a spark gap. But you never know. I would suggest that if you wish to try the
experiment that you have a bucket of sand ready to put out the fire should one
start. Flammable metals should not be extinguished with water as that will
accelerate the combustion. CO2 and dry chemical extinguishers are not considered
effective on flammable metals.

I would be interested to hear of your results should you try it out.

later
deano