Re: [TCML] Biography and projects (Jim Lux)

Who: Jim Lux
Where: Thousand Oaks California USA (about 30 miles NE of Los Angeles)
Contact: jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Experience: Actively coiling since early 90s.
Used to work at a physical special effects shop (http://www.reelefx.com) doing tornados, rain, fire and, my particular interest: HV pulsed power for special effects (can crushers, quarter shrinking, lightning simulation, exploding wires) These days, I work at Jet Propulsion Lab doing a bit of everything.. mostly related to RF. Recently, I'm a co-PI for an experimental software radio payload on ISS (SCaN Testbed) and I'm developing a radar to detect buried victims in rubble (FINDER for Dept Homeland Security)

Fascination with HV started with a visit to the Deutsches Museum in summer of 1969.

Website: http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/
http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk (useful because there's material properties there) http://www.luxfamily.com (not much for tesla coiling there, but the Paschen paper is buried there)

Interests other than Tesla:
Everything, really.  Recently: sausage making http://jim-lux.blogspot.com/
Plans: Want to build a multi coil setup to duplicate the setup described in Rendezvous with Rama. Still working out the details. I'd love to figure out how to do multiple arcs among a triangle of coils. I'm a fan of spark gaps (high peak power), but I might have to breakdown and go SSTC.
from wikipedia..
"The Horns: A regular grouping of spires at the South Pole, within Rama. Exactly at the Pole is a single large spire dubbed the "Big Horn", and arranged in a hexagonal pattern around this are six other spires (aka "Little Horns"), each shorter and with a smaller diameter. The Horns seem to be used in Rama's enigmatic system of propulsion."