RE: [TCML] Quick and Cheap Toroid

Brandon,
The minor diameter, in your case 7 inches, will determine whether the coil
breaks out without a breakout point, or with. A bigger diameter means a
higher top voltage is needed to breakout out un-assisted. I only have 12kv
pigs / NSTs as a max available here (UK) and I would probably choose 6
inches here for an NST, BUT others in the USA who use 15kv will have more
knowledge on this so listen to them.
The overall diameter will provide shielding and generally a I prefer bigger
size rather than smaller.
The varnish, I think, is best brush painted as you can have it thicker,
allowing sanding down between coats (if you're real keen) . All the little
dust bits that inevitably always get stuck in varnish, may show as 'dimples'
under the Alu' tape.
After about a day, varnish here is touch dry, but if you slide your hand
over it, it still has a slight drag to it, so that was when I put the tape
on. I did try paint instead on one of them once, and it was far less
effective, but paint types vary.
One last point - it's incredibly boring putting the tape on. Don't try and
put great long lengths on - it kinks. Minor kinks can be smoothed out by
burnishing it, Piece of cloth over the affected area, and use the back of a
spoon against the cloth. I burnish the whole thing afterwards anyway.

Regards
Phil Tuck

www.hvtesla.com