Re: [TCML] Quick and Cheap Toroid

On 3/12/13 4:03 PM, Brandon Hendershot wrote:
That's exactly like the one I had seen, only better. I've already bought
the things to make it. And words of wisdom regarding spackling/filling the
duct?

The smoother the underlying surface, the smoother the aluminum foil surface will be. Something like automotive body filler (Bondo (r)) can typically be sanded smoother..

However, regular old spackle and some varnish or polyurethane can probably do just as well.

Important:  make sure the filler is DRY before putting the finish on.

You can use almost anything as a form underneath the filler. Some structure is useful. People have used inflatable tubes even. You could cover it with stretchy fabric and polyester resin (e.g. a similar process to "silk" artificial nails).

Basically,it's a tedious hand sanding process, because it's toroidal..