Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:32 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil remote

On 3/9/13 8:04 PM, james hutton wrote:

So I am looking at using a remote for turning my coil on and off.I
made a remote using 433mhz rf transmitter/receivers for the
coil.However as soon as the coil is on, it interfiers with the remote
(which was anticipated.)

Yes.. the inexpensive remote controls tend to be less EMI immune than
one might hope.

I tried making a faraday cage around the
receiver, however still no luck.

Well, the faraday cage will also shield the desired 433 MHz  (although,
I can imagine building a cage with holes that are sized to pass the 433
M, but not let in the 100kHz (and copious harmonics).  Or building a
suitable filter.

Do you have the receiver schematic and design info?  What I would do is
put the receiver in a metal box with a decent coax connector. Then have
a good high pass filter in another box with the antenna.

One problem you'll have is that most spark gap TCs radiate a fair amount
of VHF noise (from the wires going to/from the primary spark gap, I
believe).

How is the receiver connected to the "power switch".  you might be
getting noise back through the AC line into the receiver as well.

I know there is the option of IR, but
I wanted to avoid making it an IR remote because then there is much
less range and you need to point the remote at the receiver.Has
anyone ever made a remote for their coil successfully that was not
infrared?I am also thinking of using an IR laser diode as apposed to
a typical IR led if I must make the remote IR.I wouldnt be focusing
it with a lens, I just think that since the laser diode is much
brighter and more powerful than an led it would give me much more
range.And I would obviously need a driver to power the laser diode
that can handle the IR pulses sent from the microprocessor.thoughts?

What might work better is building something like an IR flashlight.
Gang up a bunch of IR LEDs in series and a driver transistor and a
bigger battery.