Re: [TCML] Single-ended NST, wiring

On 3/5/13 10:34 AM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hmmm. I wonder why this configuration is so prevalent in the small
kit coils available from information unlimited

If you have a single ended transformer, it works ok. Kits are often ad-hoc historical designs and many are built, operated a few times and never operated again, so durability and long term performance aren't big issues. A lot of kits use DC rated doorknob caps, which also have long term degradation issues in this application.

 and in the larger ones
used at resonance research and the like then.

Larger coils do have voltage rise issues, and tying one terminal to ground is a good way to deal with it. And, if you've built a coil a particular way and been successful with it, you tend to stay with it.

 For the purpose of
limiting that voltage rise perhaps? If the dangers are reasonably
high, then one would think the kits would be engineered away from
this configuration. Heck the little information unlimited BTC-30 I
built years ago, does not even have an RF ground, it just uses the
house ground, with no problems I might add.

No problems that you're aware of <grin>...

I doubt that there's much "safety engineering" that goes into IU kits.

A lot of TC mfrs and commercial operators rely on strategies like:

1) have small assets (small insurance) so that if things go wrong, there's nothing to sue for.

2) carry liability insurance for performers and special effects.