Re: [TCML] Silent Spark Gap

You've never mentioned how large your 'small' TC really is. My small one produces 4" streamers and uses a 2.5 kV, 20 mA NST and a Victoreen spark gap originally mentioned here many years ago. All but the coil itself is built into an 8" box and I'd have to open it to see the actualy nomenclature on the gap but it's of a class which has a lot of discussion here maybe 10 years ago. Gap noise is noticeable but only if you listen for it but the streamers of course make noise which some [I'm one] find entertaining. I once used three of these gaps in series on a coil with a 60 mA 9 kV NST and an 0.015 ufd capacitor and they worked reasonably well [maybe 20" streamers compared to 28 with an open air gap] but got way too hot.

I also have a WW1 surplus AMRAD '1/2 kW' quenched gap which does a very nice quiet job with my coil powered by a 12 kV, 60 mA transformer but there the noise from the streamers is almost as loud as that from a multi-section pipe gap, although the streamer noise don't have the extreme high frequency components that the gap noise does.

Ed

Is there anyway to build an enclosure around the spark gap in a small SGTC
in order to muffle the noise as much as possible?