Re: [TCML] Pre-Launch Prep Procedure

Mike,

I've just had a look over the archives, and from what I've read I'm pretty
> sure that my issue lies with the SRSG firing timing. I came across a post
> from Gary Lau saying that he uses 500W halogen bulbs as a dummy load, and
> tunes his SRSG for max brightness. I think I'll run with this idea, along
> with building a Freau phase adjuster circuit to adjust the phase more
> accurately. Do others use the halogen bulb dummy load? Is there anything I
> need to be aware of before attempting this?

Good choice on the phase controller. I use a dummy load identical to Gary's
and as far as I can tell it works great. Something I misunderstood though,
make sure that the load goes in 'series' with the primary, not in place of
it. I thought it replaced it entirely, which apparently wasn't the case.

> Clearly the halogen dummy load will experience the full 10kV output of the
> NST - so I presume they're capable of withstanding high voltages? Would
> this bulb be suitable?
>
> http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=411&cat=56

Those are the exact type of bulbs I'm using. Go ahead and get spares, they
can be rather 'cheap' when you get them for cheap. I'm running with 3 at
15kV (120mA) so you should be able to get away with just two bulbs in
series (unless the design states otherwise).

> Cheers
>
> Mike

Good luck

Brandon H.