Re: [TCML] Pre-Launch Prep Procedure

What size is your NST and cap?  You may be getting resonant rise, in which case your safety gap is doing its job.

________________________________
 From: Mike Gray <graymp89@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 1:36 PM
Subject: [TCML] Pre-Launch Prep Procedure

Hi all. I'm having some trouble sorting out the correct pre-launch
preparation, specifically the Terry safety gap. What I currently believe to
be correct is this. In order to set the safety gap to just wider than the
max arc width the NST can produce, I first of all disconnect everything
else from the safety gap except for the NST. I then narrow the safety gap
so that it fires when the NST is fired up. I then gradually widen the gap
whilst at the same time firing up the NST, looking for the point at which
the NST can no longer produce an arc between the gaps. When I get there, I
leave the safety gap in that exact configuration for TC operation.

Trouble is, when I then go to energise the TC itself with everything
connected up again, the safety gaps fire when I'm at around 50-60% on the
variac. I can't understand how this happens!

So I thought maybe it's best to set the safety gap width with the rest of
the TC hooked up rather than in isolation. But then what to do with the
main gap (SRSG)? I've tried removing just the SRSG, and with the rest of
the TC hooked up try to set the safety gap width. In this case it started
to fire less frequently and with louder arcs each time I made it wider, and
this didn't sound right so I stopped. Thought it best to ask for advice
before I explode something...!

So what's the best way to set up the safety gap?

Cheers guys.