Re: [TCML] Suspect component

Chris,

When you draw an arc direct from the MWO transformer there is no current limiting to attenuate the spark, and you will draw current limited only by the impedance of the transformer windings and core, which is, by design, not very much.

When you draw current from the doubler, the current is limited by the AC reactance of the capacitor, which will pass a whole lot less current than the transformer can provide.

At 60 Hz, a 1 uF MWO capacitor has a capacitive reactance of 2650 ohms. That's going to limit your current significantly.

Dave