[TCML] Secondary Coil Characterization with Digilent (R) Electronics Explorer

Here is a brief report of an experiment I performed earlier this week
with my Digilent EE platform and a random seconary.
 I am going to need a decent high power buffer amplifier
(20 MHz gain/bandwidth product) to prevent source impedance variations
while performing a frequency sweep from swamping the data.
I contemplating using a Linear Technologies LT1210 (TO-220-7)
buffer amplifier (35Mhz Gain/Bandwidth product) powered by
+/-15V, can source or sink up to 1.2A drive.

Not bad for a fixture that took <<30 minutes to setup and
get data, repeatability is excellent as well (<1% data variance)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10777162/Digilent%20EE%20Tesla%20Coil%20Characterization.pdf

I still need to optimize CT ratio and burden resistor relationships.
To determine Q, determine frequency with most positive dB gain,
then upper and lower frequencies are simply -3dB below the
peak value.  The Q of 43 is suspect, the Q of coil with this
geometry should be more like 100-150, and the output
op-amp of the AWG can only sink or source 35mA, hence
the need for a power buffer amplifier.
--
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA USA