Re: [TCML] 6" Tesla coil plexiglass secondary - FOR SALE

Hi Don, Dave and all,

Although PVC's dielectric loss is higher than Plexiglas (PMMA), when used as a coil form the differences appear to be negligible. High-Q secondaries can be constructed using either material.

However, there IS a significant difference when PVC is used in the presence of corona. PVC easily forms conductive carbonized tracks (that look similar to Lichtenberg figures!) when the surface is subjected to any corona or surface arcing. The PVC breaks down, forming a semiconducting layer of chlorine ions on the surface of the PVC that leads to cumulative degradation and carbonized tracks. On the other hand, PMMA is very resistant to tracking, and is often preferred for high voltage designs for this reason.

I suspect that most coilers won't see problems with PVC as long as they imbed the secondary winding underneath one or more layers of polyurethane, polyester, or epoxy and properly shielding the top of the winding with a suitable topload. The higher dielectric constant and insulating properties of any of these coatings helps to prevent corona that might otherwise form in high E-field regions. In particular, using a high dielectric constant sealant will eliminate high E-field air-wire-PVC "triple points", preventing corona from forming and extending the life of the PVC coil form.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

dfroula@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
David,

At the time I got into TC work, there were enough cautionary notes
about PVC secondaries that I just decided to bypass the issue and go
with the plexiglass. The plexi secondaries have always worked quite
well for me, not to say others have not gotten perfectly acceptable
operation from PVC.

The one 6" PVC TC secondary I made was a nightmare to wind. I mounted
it on a lathe, but could never get it centered correctly, as the PVC
tube was so irregular in shape. The plexiglass extruded tubes I
bought from Midland Plastics were much more dimensionally consistent
and easily centered for winding.

Electrically, I have built VLF receiving loops by winding wire on
untreated pine, even on mounted doors with nails on each corner. They
worked fine, although receiving antennas are quite another thing from
a high-power Tesla coil.

I was never able to find much quantitative documentary evidence on
the benefits of one over the other. I just played it safe. In the
end, it seemed to end up being a "religious" issue.

It does look nice, though! I recall one coiler who wanted to fill his
plexiglass secondary with neon. I wonder how that worked out!!! ;-)

Best,

Don