Re: [TCML] 6" Tesla coil plexiglass secondary - FOR SALE

One interesting effect of using a plexiglass form for the secondary is that the plexiglass seems hold a charge after the coil is shut off (depending where in the charging cycle the coil is shut off). The prevalent theory is that the plexiglass exhibits an "electret" effect where the polymer structure of the material will hold an electrical charge for some time. PVC forms I have used do not seem to exhibit the effect.

A true electret is a sort of "permanent magnet", except that the material retains a permanent electrical, rather than magnetic charge. True electret polymers are used to construct electret microphones, tha depend on the charge to produce an output signal.

I have gotten minor zaps from a plexiglass secondary hours after the coil has been turned off.

Don