From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, January 4, 2013 5:43:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] How temperature effects the tesla coil...

On 1/4/13 12:25 PM, plasticanvil wrote:
> Hi Jim I'm in 8th grade. we have a small voltage meter but are unsure
> how to use it as the last one got fried by our tesla coil. We also
> have a friend with a lot of electrical equipment but i do not know
> what he has so for now we just have the small meter. Our spark gap
> cannot be changed because the tesla coil will not work unless the
> spark gap is in the exact position it is in now (small enough to
> slide a post card through). Our tesla coil is a table top version
> made with a bug zapper it's only 14" tall.

What are you using for the topload?

Can you change the primary tuning?

What might be a good experiment is to vary the size of the topload, and
then see if the primary tuning change required matches the theory..

The secondary resonant frequency determined by the L of the secondary
(fixed) and the C of the secondary (some Cself from the winding, some
Ctop from the topload).

This gives you a good scientific method thing..
You can *predict* what the results of your experiment should be by using
analysis (i.e. you have a hypothesis to test)

You can do the experiment...

You can compare the results of the experiment with the theory.

If you can find a way to measure the resonant frequency (there's a lot
of ways to do this that are fairly simple, with improvised test
equipment... your friend might have what's needed) that's even better.