Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] MOT ballasting options

Do you know if these new inverters are of any use for coiling?

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM, drieben <drieben@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Brian,

You shouldn't have issues with the HV diode that is already
inside the microwave oven, so long as you use it according
to its designed purpose (which is to act, along with the ac-
companying filter capacitor, to pretty much double the
output 1 x AC voltage from HV to transformer to 2 x DC
voltage output.

As far as your ballasting issue, another idea would be to
connect both the 120 volt inputs of two MOTs and their
HV outputs in series with each other. This would in effect
be doubling the core cross section of the transformer(s)
so that they would be nowhere near core saturation
during operation, as they typically are during normal ope-
ration. Manufacturers typically make the transformers as
absolutely bare-bones small as they can get away with to cut
on production cost and consequently, they run on the verge
of core saturation. Doubling up two in series would definitely
alleviate this issue, as each transformer would only be see-
ing half of its normal operational voltage on both the primary
and secondary coil. And since you mention that you have ac-
cess to several good microwave oven "guts", this could prove
a viable option for you.

BTW, just in case anyone wasn't aware, the iron core
HV transformers of microwaves are starting to become a
thing of the past, just like the iron core NSTs, as solid
state inverter technology is now the rule for the HV source.
That's why the newer microwave ovens now feel lighter
than their equal sized and wattage rated older counterparts.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Hall" <brianh4242@xxxxxxxxxxx>