Re: [TCML] MOT ballasting options

On 1/2/13 12:06 PM, Scott Bogard wrote:
Hi Brian,
      Many will chime in here I am sure, but ballasting depends on what you
want out of it.  If you want a thousand watt system, sure, you could just
use 10 100W lightbulbs in parallel.  My best MOT system runs with no
ballast at all and only two MOTs in series, that won't work on a 10 Amp
breaker but it works very nicely from a performance perspective for a 2.5
ish kW system.  There is always the shorted MOT ballast, reliable, but it
won't pass much current (can tend to overheat as well.)  Or anything you
would use on a Pig would work scaled down, so an archive search would be in
order.  Just my 2 cents...

the "500 ft spool of wire" as an inductor has some simplicity and appeal.. I can't recall what it's inductance is, but it's on the list. (copper being expensive these days, it's not as cheap as other means)

There's the "movable electrodes in a bucket of salt water" approach, but I think that's one of those "use outdoors, wear gloves and face shield" kind of things.

300W halogen lights are another approach.. (because conventional 40,60,75,100W incandescent bulbs are becoming more rare)..

For straight resistance, stove elements, toasters, electric heaters are of use.

Heck, given the season, you could use those strings of christmas lights you're pulling down.